As I said in an earlier post, war is hell and peace is possible. Until people decide to actually follow Jesus, lay down their weapons and stop killing each other, war – hell on Earth, will continue. Looking to that time of peace! One day!
Israel has a very unique program that allows people from many countries to come volunteer to serve in the military for a few weeks or more. The program called Sar El is pretty unusual as I don’t believe this type of program is common in other countries, if any. What other countries have a program like this? (French Foreign Legion is more for pro’s.) This is one way to show support for tiny miracle making Israel.
Here is one volunteer’s account.
Sar-El, an experience that will change your life. My first experience visiting the Holy Land came through the organization called Sar-El. It brought me to Israel in 2004 during the second Palestinian intifada (uprising). Sar-El is a chance to work on a military base, put on the uniform, eat with the soldiers, and meet people from all over the world.
This I promise will forever change who you are.
As a Christian we believe in God’s covenant with Abraham, those that bless Israel will be blessed, those that curse will be cursed, or you can read Romans 15 vs 27. You will be challenged, and tested. You will be asked to do jobs that are humbling, hard, may seem outrageous, you will be stretched past your limits, but in the end your heavenly reward is so much more than you can take in.
As a Canadian life here in Canada is very easy and simple, and I love my country for the chances that it gives me. Israel on the other hand has had too defend itself everyday since 1948. It has fought war after war with enimies that desire to wipe these people and this nation off the map. As a volunteer in sar-el, my helping out allows soldiers to leave the simple tasks behind and be there on the front lines protecting the world.
I have worked with Sar-El on two different occasions, each one making me a better person, and I am left wanting to do much much more for the people and the land of Israel. Sar-El offers so much when you sign up and go, they supply tours, teachings, great food, army type housing, weekends off, most importantly an opportunity to humble yourself and serve. – Dan
Experience a dynamic and intensive eight day exploration of Israel’s struggle for survival and security in the Middle East today: “a military, humanitarian, historical, judicial, religious, and political reality check.”
* Briefings by Mossad officials and commanders of the Shin Bet.
* Briefing by officers in the IDF Intelligence and Operations branches.
* Inside tour of the IAF unit who carries out targeted killings.
* Live exhibition of penetration raids in Arab territory.
* Observe a trial of Hamas terrorists in an IDF military court.
* First hand tours of the Lebanese front-line military positions and the Gaza border check-points.
* Inside tour of the controversial Security Fence and secret intelligence bases.
* Meeting Israel’s Arab agents who infiltrate the terrorist groups and provide real-time intelligence.
* Briefing by Israel’s war heros who saved the country.
* Meetings with senior Cabinet Ministers and other key policymakers.
* Small airplane tour of the Galilee, Jeep rides in the Golan heights, water activities on Lake Kinneret, a cook-out barbecue and a Shabbat enjoying the rich religious and historic wonders of Jerusalem’s Old City.